Nintendo has recently released all the details on how the friends system will work on their upcoming 3DS. The sytem will now function almost like an instant messenger.
- There will only be 1 friend code, and it is tied to the console, there will not be multiple friend code just because there are multiple games you are playing.
- The 3DS will allow you to maintain a Friend list which will be accessed by through the Home menu, which will tell you what your friends are doing.
- When a friend comes online, the 3DS will notify you by blinking the orange notification LED on the side.
- You will now be able to set whether or not a friend will be able to see you on, or what game you are playing.
- There are now messaging system, you will now be able to send and receive messages to and from your friends. The 3DS, when receive a message in sleep mode, will notify through the new green LED. The icon indicating the message menu will change according to if you have gotten new messages or not.
- The Home menu will notify you when there are “new item” avaliable. Now that may refer to updates, new DLC, or just news on games in general.
All of these functions are compatible with the 3DS’ SpotPass functionality, which allows the system to search for and connect to Wi-Fi hotspots.
I am glad that Nintendo is finally stepping up and making their devices more social so they will continue to grow more (as if they need it). Agree or Disagree? Let us know in the comments!